* gandt shaped the electrons to say...

I had it set to the default and it took a minute(ish) I changed it to
250 and it still took a minute(ish) - it completed its scan yesterday
so I know thats finished - all other functions seem to be taking the
usual amount of time. IS there something special about "new music" that
could cause the database to churn?

Is this using the WebUI or the PlayerUI?

The initial query that is done should be very fast:;

SELECT me.id, me.titlesort, me.compilation, me.year, me.artwork, me.disc,
me.discc, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.titlesearch, me.replay_gain,
me.replay_peak, me.musicbrainz_id, me.title FROM albums me LEFT JOIN tracks
tracks ON ( tracks.album = me.id ) GROUP BY me.id ORDER BY tracks.timestamp
desc, tracks.disc, tracks.tracknum, tracks.titlesort LIMIT XXX;

Where XXX is 250 in your case.

The WebUI, if you have 'Show Artist' will take longer, as the server needs to
find the correct artist to display for each album in the list.

-D
--
<faisal> my life is collapsing to what will soon be NEGATIVE INTEGER degrees of
separation.