* Greg Klanderman shaped the electrons to say...

OK, but don't you agree 5 minutes on a nearly 3 GHz CPU is a
preposterous number of cycles to spend indexing 8246 tracks from
641 albums and 414 artists?  This is a puny amount of data.

No, that's about what I'd expect. I have 13k tracks, and it takes ~11 minutes
on a AMD 2600+

It may be a puny amount of data, but we do a lot to make sure the data we
gather is correct. Everytime someone wants a new feature, it just adds that
much more.

Also to note - I've spent very little time optimizing any of the DB code,
preferring to go for accuracy (and bug fixes) over speed.

Is there any easy way to turn off the SQL side of the scanning
to confirm that reading the tags is reasonably fast and that
all this time really is consumed by the SQL?

Not really.. you could create dummy functions in Slim/Schema/DBI.pm to be
no-ops.

-D
--
"My pockets hurt." - Homer Simpson