>I'm not sure I can see SlimServer prefs affecting how SlimServer works
>with the database, but you could always blow away the SlimServer prefs
>file and start over.

That is what I intend to try next, and compare the difference.  I'm wondering
if some duff intermediate SVN revision has corrupted a preference setting.

>Did you recently install a new version of MySQL prior to seeing these
>problems?

No - only *after* I was seeing the problem.  I thought I'd upgrade to the
latest release (5.0.24) but I'm seeing the same behaviour as before (was on
5.0.22 I think).

>I'm going to see if I have time today to work with my installation as
>well.  One I'd like to see is whether the SlimServer MySQL config file
>can be used for the external MySQL instance, and then see what that
>does.

I wondered about all of those config questions when I created the instance.  I
doubt it could make that much of a difference - mainly only optimisations, but
I have also wondered how to configure it to be the same as Slimservers internal
instance.  I think Slimserver runs some optimisation sql script - I'm not sure
if that changes the configuration of the instance though, or whether that needs
to be done manually.  I've looked in my.tt, but I don't know what to do with
that for my instance.

Phil