On Dec 19, 2007, at 6:51 PM, neu242 wrote:

> andyg;250167 Wrote:
>> Is it slow at all levels of BMF or just the top level?  How many
>> items
>> are in your music folder?  Are they on a local or network drive?  How
>> fast is your machine?  Is your items per page pref set higher than
>> the
>> default of 50?
>>
>> The main reason it's slower is because it makes a lot more database
>> queries (one per folder item).  This is done for bug 1360 to ignore
>> files referenced in cue sheets, as well as to look for artwork.  The
>> player interface does neither of these things.
>>
>> However, on my system, it still takes less than half a second to
>> display a listing of 50 items (when the mtime has not changed and it
>> doesn't have to read the filesystem).  In that case it takes about 1
>> second, and I'm using a network drive, too.
>
> Hi.
>
> As I've stated earlier:  This is a 500mhz disk server with 256MB ram,
> with my music collection on a local USB2 drive, and 250 items are
> displayed on each page.
>
> The display time seems proportional to the number of displayed items.
> The last page (with only 40 items) displays considerably faster (1-2
> seconds).  Since the top level is the only one with loads of items, it
> is the only one that suffers enough to be annoying.
>
> By the way, one query per item seems like a serious waste.  Couldn't
> this have been done with a smarter query?  I haven't got any cue
> sheets, maybe I could disable the extra queries altogether somehow?

Probably could be improved, but that's how it was implemented, and
performance doesn't really suffer in the default case (a minimum-spec
machine and 50 items per page).

In any case, you can do the following to speed up your browse
performance:

Reduce items per page to a more reasonable level.
Use a database-based browse option (artists, albums, new music, etc)
Get a faster server.