On 1-Jan-08, at 8:48 AM, Phil Meyer wrote:

>> For those who use it regularly it might be an unnecessary step.
>> Having it displayed all the time would wake up the "this is
>> clutter" crowd. There are quite a few out there who never use the
>> search at all.
>>
> How about making it an option

Funny that this request always follows.  The answer should also be
likewise consistent: no.  With more users every day there has to be an
end to the "every user request as an option" design plan.

You can always choose to edit the code to create your own custom
skin.  in fact, I think a very good reason to say 'no' is to encourage
the generation of custom skins. I'd love to see a community of
hundreds of varying skins, even some with just subtle differences,
like you see for many other software projects out there. Somewhere
along the way, this one has gone wrong in creating an attitude that
everything should be there out of the box and work for everyone all at
once.

-kdf