>And yet, when I check the bitrate of the file being played by
>softsqueeze, it is the full 320 kbps of the original file. The
>situation is the same if I connect to the server with WMP.

Check bugzilla - I've had similar problems in the past.  I think there are some
bugs reported, but not a lot has happened to fix them.

I assume you are configuring bitrate limiting through the player settings audio
tag option?  There's also a query string param to override the bitrate setting.
 There's not a lot of documentation about it (maybe it's unsupported?), but I
think it's either:

        http://server:9000/stream.mp3?bitrate=64
or
        http://server:9000/stream.mp3?bitrate=64kbps

I had more luck with that.

Also, the process of setting up a remote stream seems to cause problems.  If
you have a remote stream start up, then set the stream bitrate (if not
specifying the bitrate in the query string), and then start selecting music to
play for the stream, I find I then have to stop the player in the web UI and
stop the remote stream (eg. close WMP), then start the player in the webUI and
then start the stream again.

i.e. once the stream is established, you can't change the bitrate for the
stream - you have to stop and restart it.

Phil