Hi all,

We've been working quietly for the past several months on deploying
some fresh new server infrastructure for SqueezeNetwork. We want to get
it more scalable, manageable, and fault-tolerant, and bring services
closer to our users for lower latency. The new infrastructure is
globally distributed, with two datacenters in the US (Silicon Valley
area and Wash, DC area) as well as a European site hosted in Germany.
Users will automagically use the closest site, and in the event of
datacenter failure, users will fail over to the next closest site.

We've got services up and running in the new datacenters now, and it's
time to start testing it out, hence this announcement. Some of this
will be a little confusing without standardizing some terms for the
rest of this post:

SN Prod = The current production SqueezeNetwork that regular customers
are using every day. The browser interface lives at
http://www.squeezenetwork.com

Old SN Beta = The beta service you've been using recently as a tester,
and what the SqueezeCenter 7 builds have been connecting to. It shares
account data with SN Prod. The browser interface for this is at
http://www.squeezenetwork.com:3000

New SN Beta = This is the new infrastructure described above. It's
completely separate from the older installations, and the browser
interface is at http://www.beta.squeezenetwork.com

The New SN Beta service will start with a clean slate - no existing
known accounts or players - so you'll have to sign up for an account
there and add your players. Changes you make there will not affect SN
Prod or Old SN Beta. When the new infrastructure eventually becomes
Production, we'll be migrating over all of the existing production
account data from SN Prod just before we go live. Therefore, nothing
you do in this New SN Beta environment will survive into the future
production environment in the long run, as it will all be overwritten
with the real production data.

We've added some new preferences to the nightly builds of both
SqueezeCenter 7 (SC7) and Squeezebox Controller (SBC) to choose your
datacenter. SC7 has an option to switch between "Production" and "Beta"
in the SqueezeNetwork settings. SBC has a checkbox under Settings >
Advanced > SqueezeNetwork to use "Beta". In the future when all of this
transition is complete, the labels on the preferences will actually be
accurate. For the moment, as SC7/SBC can't be connected to the older SN
Prod code, "Production" means the "Old SN Beta", and "Beta" means the
"New SN Beta". Both SC7 and SBC will default to "Production", which
means they're connecting to the same thing they've been connecting to
recently ("Old SN Beta"). SC7 and SBC both must be restarted for their
respective Beta options to take effect.

Once you've switched to Beta in SC7, the menu option on your SqueezeBox
or Transporter that says "Connect to SqueezeNetwork Beta" will also send
you to the "New SN Beta" services. You'll be able to tell the difference
beecause the menu header on the display will say "SqueezeNetwork - HW
BETA (XX)", where XX is one of our three new datacenter location codes
(SV, DC, DE).

After we've had people on the New SN Beta for a few days if things are
going smoothly the "Old SN Beta" will probably go away completely, thus
reducing the confusion a bit.

Please use the nightly builds that are coming out tonight (not long
after this post) to test the new SN Beta - the option has existed in
some builds for the past few days, but there have been some last minute
fixes today that will make life easier.

--
blblack