No real reason, other than a particular guest SID having more specific
file permissions (only one place it needs r/w, just r/o in the music
dirs and no access otherwise) and a service running as a guest SID, has
permissions to interact with the desktop by default.
I guess I tend to be over-cautious with any process attached to a port,
even though I'm behind a decent firewall.

I think you're right, though - just running it as local service will
indeed do pretty much what I want, and I'll just turn "allow service to
interact with desktop" on in the services manager.

BTW, does it make sense to add this as a separate option in the
"SqueezeCenter Startup Options" app? It'd allow a "Are you using
itunes?" kind of dialog box.

--
bobkoure