Reviewing posts about this, I've compiled this list of scenarios and
asks from various people (I can't see what's in the bug right now):

Prevent inadvertant mistakes:

* loss or replacement of current playlist from pressing Play.
* adding multiple items (such as a whole genre or year)
* interrupting the currently playing item
* adding the same item multiple times

Prevent deliberate annoying party guest behavior:

* deliberately doing things in the mistakes list above
* changing volume
* adding multiple individual items
* changing settings, including party mode settings.

>From these scenarios, I see this list of possible features:

* Make the Play button act like the + button, but only when an item is
already playing. This seems to be the Priority 0 feature that everyone
wants.

* Prevent actions that interrupt the currently playing item. This could
be button-specific: individually disable FF, REW, Pause, Stop, Next,
Previous.

* Provide user feedback: "Track X will play next" or "Track X added to
playlist"

* Don't allow adding multiple items with a single button press.

* Enforce settings. Password required to change them or changing them
is buried deeply to prevent naive users from changing them.

* Prompt before allowing destructive actions. A destructive action is
one that interrupts the currently playing item or that removes an item
from the playlist.

* Allow undo of bad actions.

Myself, I'd be happy with making Play act like + and disabling all
actions
that can interrupt the currently playing item except for Pause/Stop.

--
mikelee999