Philip Meyer;381552 Wrote:
> I haven't used MusicBrainz, but are you saying that even the most
> obscure albums (eg. unofficial live concerts, etc), will have unique
> *album* id's?  Are they album id's, or disk id's?
>
> Are the unique id's really guaranteed to be unique, or just unlikely
> (eg. MD5 checksum).

They are 'release IDs'.  In most cases, this is the same as a disc ID
(ie, a multidisc set will have different ID's for each disc).  The
exception is that Musicbrainz does recognize that not all 'releases'
are on CD, so it is possible that it could be a sort of album-id on
releases that do not make it to CD.

As for "unofficial" releases, MB does allow bootlegs: their goal is to
document releases, and a bootleg is still a release even if not
sanctioned.  Of course, many bootlegs have a historical significance,
so documenting them is important.  So, yes, there are plenty of
bootlegs listed on MusicBrainz.  They tend to avoid "burned" CDs,
though: a pressed CD is much preferred, and torrent-only things are
frowned on.

There are also "ITMS Store Only" sorts of things there, oddball
collections of rarities and remasters that only sell online and only
via ITMS.

Oh, yeah, and it's some stupidly long number: I'm too old and tired to
count the bits, but it's a huge number and is unique.  No clue how it
is computed, but my guess is it's just a UUID computation and any sort
of collision just gets recomputed.

That said: since it is (for things on CD media anyway) more of a Disc
Id than an actual album ID, it isn't all that useful for dealing with
seperating albums since it will break apart multi cd sets, though
TPOS/DISCNUMBER type tags could help there.

--
snarlydwarf