I don't think the default skin looks bad overall. But I've been meaning
to file an enhancement request for a while, and this seems like a good
opportunity to air it.

Of course the interface could look better. How? I propose to let one
particular feature bring the bling/liveliness to the interface. Namely
the way *covers* are displayed. They already bring color and variation
to the interface and are an integrated part of it. But there is some
room for optimising their visual presentation in SC.

I suggest to let SC do some image manipulation when scanning covers.
This should be one or more of:

-Add small dropshadow (Other possiblilties could be to add some other
kind of frame/border. Eg. last.fm frames covers in jewel-cases.)
-Normalise colors
-Add reflection to the image.
-Preferably give all images the same aspect-ratio and size (more
below).

I once tried to add a small dropshadow and it *really* improves the
overall look of the interface. Unfortunately I forgot to grab a
screenshot... I reverted because it needs to be done more cleverly, ie
dropshadow does not look nice on the Controller full-screen display, or
on the popup appearing when hovering the cover in the now playing
section of the SC-interface.

I'm convinced that this would be a very nice way of improving the look.
Its a subtle change, but the effect is very noticeable. Currently there
are a few visual problems with the covers which in some cases makes the
interface look home-made:

- As SC uses no standardised location to source covers from there is
potential for deviations in quality, colors, size, aspect-ratio etc.
This looks bad.
- Sometimes covers have white, or some other kind of border. Again
bad.
- In general the varying image quality is a problem.

What do you think. Worth filing a request?

B.

--
bhaagensen