>As you guessed correctly this might be the issue: there is migration code
>which will reset this value if it's considered the default value. This
>obviously isn't detected correctly. Would it work again if you manually
>set this value again?

After updating to HEAD and restarting, I checked the cachedir prefs item.  It
hadn't been changed - it was still pointing to the correct location.  When I
reverted back, Squeezebox Server, it worked without having to tweak any paths
back.

So it seems as if it just doesn't read the cachedir prefs item anymore?