>If the album is released in 2004, I'll tag it as such. It's the -album-
>I'm tagging, not the individual tracks.

I am with the original poster - I tag each song with the year the song was
published.

For compilations, the "album year" should actually be several years - a list of
distinct years based on the songs on the album.  i.e. treat it the same as
genres across all the songs on the album.

When browsing Years, the compilation album should appear under all years, not
one specifically, similar to how you can find a compilation album by browsing
to any artist that appears on the compilation.