Philip Meyer;437734 Wrote:
> >To you maybe... to me it's not the release year of the disk that
> >matters it's the release year of the music on the disk. So if I have
> >comp with tracks from 1970,71 and 72 then if I have set no release
> year
> >for the album (which if I did would be 1970 by the way) the release
> date
> >I'd want it to default to would be 1970 because that is the earliest
> >track. Also, we aren't necessary talking about real physical/released
> >albums here - it might be a set of randomly hand-assembled singles
> for
> >example.
> >
> >This is particularly important to me for single-artist compilations -
> >need my albums to display in chrono order and that needs the earliest
> >track to drive things properly, not the latest one.
> >
> >A classic case (hated by the developers of course) of there being two
> >valid views of the univserse and the need for a user preference!
>
> I'd have to disagree and say either it should be the max year, or
> "various"/"multiple", etc.
>
> An album year of "min year" makes no sense to me either.  An artists
> "Greatest Hits" album with songs ranging from 2000 to 2005 and a new
> bonus song produced 2009 could only be released from 2009.
>
> Of course, if there were support for an ALBUMYEAR tag, you have your
> preference - fill in whatever value you like.

Well you are just wrong :-)

How does "various" work in a numeric sort? (obviously you don't use
Custom scan/browse...).

I'm right and I don't care what anyone says, because it's my
collection, sorted the way I want - yah boo sucks... (taking ball home)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom