bklaas;451295 Wrote:
> Just for clarity, it's important to note that there is no requirement
> for an internet connection during normal use of the device, just during
> setup.
>
> There are some valid points being made on this thread, but I want to
> make sure we don't go off the rails into FUD where people think
> broadband is required for normal use. It is not.
>
> Consider that an out-of-the-box Squeezebox Controller was manufactured
> with a very old firmware. It's extremely important for us to be able to
> get all new users an update straight away, or their experience to put it
> mildly will be miserable. The way we manage this is having a central
> repository that distributes these updates, and it is done over the
> internet. After setup, pull the internet plug and use a local Squeezebox
> Server and never connect to the internet again.
>
> I'm not posting this as a dismissal of the previous posts, but to
> clarify both the scope and the justification for the network
> requirement.
>
> cheers,
> #!/ben

In addition, Internet Access is already required for all of our
product-setups (for new users) because we do not ship our software
in-the-box. This is not a new requirement, its only new for users who
already have SC running (assuming its up-to-date-enough for their new
product), and don't have internet access available at that very moment
for setup.

--
Matt Wise