Thanks for posting, S.

sschulte;451474 Wrote:
> if you've also downloaded the latest firmware (while at work, for
> example) and dropped it in the relevant SC directory (I believe it's
> /cache/updates/), you will be notified that there is a firmware upgrade
> is available and will be able to complete a firmware upgrade (again,
> with no Internet connection present).

How will users know
1) that this firmware update route is possible
2) where to get the firmware (download URL)
3) where to put the firmware (local folder)**

In the past I've suggested ways that SqueezeCenter could be more
tolerant of different player firmware revisions, to avoid the trouble
customers run into when they switch between SqueezeNetwork and
SqueezeCenter. The reaction from SMBU was basically that QA likes for
SqueezeCenter to insist on a specific firmware level, as that simplifies
support. With that in mind, it seems that you'd want to include the
"known good" firmware for Controller with the Squeezebox Server
installation, just as you've included the Boom, Receiver, Classic, and
Transporter firmware.

If the installation for SBS copied the known good firmware into
cache/updates or whatever, that would provide the best, easiest
out-of-box experience for all customers. Since you support cache/updates
already, all we're talking about is bundling the firmware into the SBS
software download.

I like your suggest improvements to the SN connection error dialogue,
though I still think you shouldn't try so hard to make users set up SN
accounts.

-Peter

** Note that there's been a fair amount of work done in the last year
to hide directory structure details from users, as many customers had
trouble finding directories. Logitech's tradition of changing names
combined with Microsoft's changes in directory structure has made it
increasingly difficult for users to know where any files or directories
reside.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver ContextMenu FuzzyTime KidsPlay
KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock