Luke Redpath;493876 Wrote:
> Not really a philosophy I subscribe to.
>
> http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch06_Avoid_Preferences.php
>
> Perhaps its better to say too many preferences are evil.
>
> Of course, you're welcom to disagree and if so Squeemote might not be
> for you.

The referenced URL says:

> PREFERENCES ARE A WAY TO AVOID MAKING TOUGH DECISIONS
>
> Instead of using your expertise to choose the best path, you're leaving
> it in the hands of customers. It may seem like you're doing them a favor
> but you're just making busy work for them (and it's likely they're busy
> enough).

With all respect, for any non-trivial software the assertion that there
is a single best use path and that a business
analyst/architect/programmer has the expertise to find it is
terrifically arrogant.  It also has more than a whiff of justification
of programmer laziness:  it's easier to hard code a value than look up a
preference, and it makes support and debugging easier.  However, the
programmer shouldn't delude himself into believing he's running a
benevolent dictatorship in the best interest of dim-witted users who
aren’t clever enough to know what’s good for them.

--
stephenkca