Philip Meyer;505354 Wrote:
> I meant if there were more than one file.  If there's only one, then use
> it, if there's more than one, and none match the names that the scanner
> would usually look for, then don't arbitrarily pick any of them.

+1.

I want to see where errors are made and don't want to have an 'arbitary
random' image.
Whatever algorithm you take - alphabetical, resolution, filesize - from
the users point of view you take a random image which *could* be the
right - but most of the time plain wrong even in the simplest
scenarios:

- simple scenario: back.jpg + front.jpg - image
  alphabetical: takes 'back.jpg' => wrong image
  by size/resolution: takes 'back' (as the back image is bigger) =>
  wrong image

  of course these names change - but when choosing by alphabet in the
  end this boils down to a 50:50 chance to get either one.

- advanced scenario: back + front + booklet
  alphabetical: random, as we don't know how booklets typically are
  named
  by size/resolution: takes booklet (its biggest, because 2-sided) =>
  wrong

- more advanced scenario: back + front in different resolution
  alphabetical: random (as the size is somewhere in the name - always
  in a different spot for each album downloaded somewhere)
  -100x100front.jpg, front100X100jpg, front50x50
  by size/resolution: random

--
bluegaspode

1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 1xSB-Radio
Server (7.4.1) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.
Secondary 7.4 Server on Debianized Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL.