These things can be sticky. If the new name minus diacritics and
punctuation maps to the same string as the old name minus diacritics and
punctuation, the system does not notice the difference and keeps the old
(mis-)spelling in the database, even if it does not occur anywhere in
your tags anymore.

The same thing happened to me once with a missing umlaut which would
not appear after I corrected the offending file. I finally hacked the
correct value into the database using the MySQL Query Browser, to avoid
running a full scan.

One of the reasons why I think that it is a bad idea to ignore
diacritics and punctuation in the database index.

--
usch