MrSinatra;513142 Wrote:
> if the AA tag is "Various Artists" its a comp most likely.  go on
> ignoring that, (and the de facto standard of the marketplace).

That is not a defacto standard.  There is no standard relationship
between compilation tag and album artist tag.  Most apps don't even have
a concept of compilations.  Those that do, do not automatically make an
album a compilation when the album artist is some magic string.

eg. If I set album artist = Various Artists, iTunes will not
automatically report that the album is a compilation.  I have to set the
compilation tag for it to be a compilation.

MrSinatra;513142 Wrote:
> i don't see why its so crucial for SBS to know something is a comp to
> begin with?

It's not crucial for SBS to know something is a compilation.  It's how
groups an album up such that there is one album artist.  If it didn't,
then it would have to have some other logic/guess as to whom the album
artist should be.

MrSinatra;513142 Wrote:
> do you really want all your comps in one big generic category?
Yes, actually I do.  It's no different to not having compilations, but
having all such albums tagged with an Album Artist.  i.e. they get put
together somewhere.

I'd prefer it if there was a Browse Compilations (instead of Browse
Artists > Various Artists), but that should be a front-end UI
presentation issue more than anything.  It's how iTunes presents such
albums. Custom Browse plugin can provide this menu in SBS.

I actually browse them usually via Browse Genres > [choose a genre] >
Various Artists, to find for example Rock Compilation albums.  i.e. they
are not necessarily all stuck in one generic category - they work like
normal albums, but with an extra propery that allows them to be
separated out if wanted.

--
Philip Meyer