I want to craft a plugin for myself that will execute a simple update
query on the NAMES column of the GENRES table after every SBS scan.  I
used to accomplish this simply by modifying my copy of
schema_optimize.sql.

What would you suggest? Should I:

A). call an external sqlite executable, e.g. one of the precompiled
binariers from http://www.sqlite.org/download.html with my sql query,
or,

B). bite the bullet and learn something about DBD?

Did the recent change you made to the embedded branch involving
exclusive locking mean that option A isn't really an option anymore? And
if that's true, is there any sort of DBD 'passthrough' mode whereby I
can just feed raw sql statements to dbd and get it to execute them?

Thanks..

--
gharris999