MrSinatra;516290 Wrote:
> run SBS (and the OS) on a SSD.
>
> i haven't heard anyone using ramdisk in years.  how exactly do you
> implement it?

I use this:
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

It's free and has been rock solid. It backups the data before shutdown
and restores the RAMDisk with data at bootup. The only thing I do is to
disable automatic startup of SBS at login so the RAMDisk can be up and
running before I start SBS.

Just create a RAMDisk and install your SBS to it. That's the easiest
way. But make sure your cache is moved as well. You can set it manually
in server.prefs. I leave server.prefs on a physical drive but everything
else is on the RAMDisk.

It makes a difference and if you have lots of RAM and have never seen
your peak commit charge high enough to indicate its being used I see it
as a free upgrade.

I also have run it on MAC OSX installed on an SSD and SBS running on a
RAMDisk. RAMDisk is very easy on Mac OS you can type a line in terminal
(easy Google search) or there's a program that backs up and restores
RAMDisk images as well.

It's easy, painless (once you set it up) and provides a performance
boost. It seemed to me that SBS ran faster in Mac OS than in Windows
though. I always run on maximum priority.

--
sxr71