are you sure?  you and Andy are far more expert than I, but i thought my
interpretation was correct b/c of this:

andyg;577442 Wrote:
> If you have non-square JPEG images, we have to resize them to
> transparent PNGs so they fit properly within various square UI
> elements, and this will take extra time and cache space.

that, to me, sounds like the aspect ratio is not maintained for
"various square UI elements"

or is he saying the non-square image is made into a new image that is
square via transparent parts but to the eye still maintains aspect
ratio?  i guess thats ok, but it just feels like its working the
problem backwards?

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbrec & ipeng (parent's home) - sbs 7.5.2b - win
xp pro sp3 ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz, 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link
dir-655 - 43k+ mp3