MrSinatra;578404 Wrote:
> but regardless, this gets back to my point that you should be able to
> change options without needing a rescan at all, or knowing what "type"
> of rescan is needed.

Isn't the correct type of rescan performed already today automatically
by the system if you change one of the options that requires it ?
I know it at least happens if you change the "separator for multiple
tag values" setting.

>From a user perspective it shouldn't be important if the system
performs:
- A rescan from files
- A rescan from stage 1 database
As long as it's fast and gives the correct result, the users will be
happy.

MrSinatra;578404 Wrote:

> in a two phase system, the tag would be stored in the raw tag "cache"
> table as TPE2.  and then when the second phase of building SBS tables
> is done, it would refer to the option to know how to treat it.  so you
> could rebuild SBS tables without rescanning the files from the existing
> tag cache table, just by changing the option.
>
> it is important to note however, that most users will set this option
> once and leave it that way.  most people who use mp3 do it one way or
> the other, with the vast majority treating TPE2 as AA and thats why the
> Devs have it set like that by default on new installs.

I suspect most(all?) of the current options that requires a rescan
works this way. Most users only sets them once in a new installation
and never change them after that.

This is also the reason why the only reason to implement a two phase
system in current SBS would be if it gets too hard to handle all the
fringe cases in the incremental rescan without it.

The performance isn't an reason as a two stage process probably won't
speed up incremental rescans, it will only speed up full rescans. The
main idea is that you should rarely have to do a full rescan since the
options that requires this often are changed only once in a specific
setup.

With the "new schema" approach, the situation was a lot different
because then it was a lot more probable that a user would adjust the
schema which would require a full rescan.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))