>how do you handle it?  in other words, for Phil L's example album, how
>would you tag it?

If there are two primary artists that make up an album, I tag all tracks to
have both artists.  I don't generally set any album artist (unless necessary).
Sometimes I also add a Band tag, where the two artists are often regarded as
such.  eg:

        Album:  No Pussyfooting
        Artist: Brian Eno, Robert Fripp
        Band/Orchestra: Fripp & Eno
        Year: 1973

        1. The Heavenly Music Corporation Part 1
        2. The Heavenly Music Corporation Part 2
        3. The Heavenly Music Corporation Part 3
        4. The Heavenly Music Corporation Part 4
        5. The Heavenly Music Corporation Part 5
        6. Swastika Girls Part 1
        7. Swastika Girls Part 2

Thus I find the album listed under Artists > Brian Eno, Artists > Robert Fripp
and Artists > Fripp & Eno.

If one of those tracks had a guest performer, I'd then bother to tag all songs
with ALBUM ARTIST=Robert Fripp and ALBUM ARTIST=Brian Eno.

I never browse by album sorted by artist, so it doesn't bother me that I
wouldn't know where to find this album (could be sorted under Eno, Brian or
Fripp, Robert or Fripp & Eno).

NB. in 7.5, if I did add an ALBUM ARTIST tag, that would result in track
artists for each song.  Navigating through a track artist hyperlink would only
show other albums where the artist was also a track artist, which is no good if
you want to see all Brian Eno related albums (where he is only the album
artist, or an artist or composer, etc).  This is now fixed/different in 7.6 -
all links to an artist always shows all albums related to that artist.  So I'd
say there is less reason to not tag everything with an ALBUM ARTIST (less side
effects with browsing), although it's still redundant/unnecessary to do so in
the majority of cases.