I have SP 7.6.2 running here one a Win7 Ultimate x64 machine, and it's
doing fine, and I even have Active Directory running here with logins,
so I am NOT running as Admin while using SP.   It's connecting to my
Server which is in the same LAN, but is a different machine running
Win2K8r2 x64 as my server, and I have run the 7.6, and now the 7.7
media server.   I am sitting here at this very moment listening to
music on my SP here at my Win7 machine, so I know it will work.

I wish I could offer some suggestions as to what is wrong, but I doubt
it has anything to do with permissions, but the normal programs files
directories are in general treated somewhat different.   If you think
it's an installed directory permissions issue, I'd suggest making say a
"Programs" directory which I do for a few things, and then install in
that directory and then you will have full permissions to write to as a
normal user.

Also make sure you don't have anything blocked in the firewall if your
connecting remotly, as that would kill you as well with making it
work..

--
WB3FFV