No new sync issues here with 7.8, FWIW, and I use sync pretty much
constantly in my house.

Having had sync issues in the past though, there are some questions that
may be good to answer.

1) Is the sync deviation constant or variable?
2) What format is your music in?  Does the sync improve when you
transcode to FLAC?
3) Do hardware types of the exact same type stay in sync?

In my case, I know the native Ogg Vorbis decoder works at different
speeds on different hardware, which leads to sync problems.  The bug in
this case (bug#6442) may apply to other formats like AAC, but not to
FLAC and MP3.  So in my case, I turn off native OGG decoding and
transcode to FLAC and everything syncs perfectly.  My bug, however, has
been around since forever and was certainly present in 7.7.  It's
possible some change may have suddenly made this old bug apply to your
music format too.

If the sync deviation is constant, I believe there's the ability to
hardcode a per-player delay value.  Not ideal, but luckier for you than
if the sync deviation varied.  Also look at anything that might be
adding a delay to your music after it leaves your devices (an amp that
does room correction, etc)--it may not be the Squeezeboxes at all.