Now that you're in charge, is there any chance of fixing/improving the
Windows installer?

Little chance, tbh. The installer is something a regular user is running once or twice a year. And in most cases it's working as expected. What you're seeing is not normal. You might have heard about the current situation of the dev team over here... There definitely are other priorities.

As you're updating almost daily - why don't you go through the few hoops of running from the source? Would obviously save you hours of busy idling every week ;-).

1) For some reason, it's the slowest installer that I've ever used on
Windows. (Seriously, I've installed enterprise versions of Microsoft
Office in less time.) I find that about 1/2 way through the installation
process the LMS service is available and usable, although you'd never
guess that. But that progress bar just creeps along saying "Waiting for
services to be configured and started". It's as though the installer is

The screen should give additional information about what part of it it's configuring. What is it?

using timers instead of actually being able to tell that files are in
place, registry setting have been made, and the server is actually
running. Isn't that what installers are supposed to do?

Can you check the task manager to see what the SB related tasks are called? Stuff like squeeze~9.exe?

--

Michael