Yes, that's what I'm saying.  But I think this is (relatively) new
behavior.  However, upon reflection, I think that this is probably the
behavior that most folks will want, so disregard my comment that this is
somehow "broken".  Rather, this has just stopped "working for me" so
I'll try to find the code change in my local copy of the repo and back
it out.

Why this behavior doesn't work for me:

I always have "Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists" turned off in
the settings.  I've got way too many obscure composers in my classical
collection included on Various Artist albums and I don't what to browse
into a genre and see hundreds and hundreds of "artists"...just the
important ones.  I.e. the ones who are also tagged as Album Artists.

On the other hand, for those semi-obscure composers who only occur on
Various Artist albums, but who are important enough to merit showing up
in the Genre->Artists browse, I'll tag one of those Various Artists
albums with that composer as the Album Artist.

It used to be that you could browse into an Album under that Album
Artist and the track list would be populated only with those tracks
where Album Artist AND Track Artist == the "parent" artist.  That's the
behavior I prefer.  Somewhere along the way, the interpretation of what
"Only show tracks or albums matching the selected role for an artist"
means was changed, I think.