not much luck so far. My next step is understanding how the Windows
install is built and/or if I can run a semi-pure-perl version to be able
to scatter extra debug print() around to narrow down the guilty part.

You don't need to "build" LMS for Windows. The most complicated part will be to get Perl 5.14. That's rather old, but that's what LMS is expecting. If you can't find it on ActiveState's web site, then feel free to PM me.

Once you've got ActivePerl 5.14 installed, get the LMS source from https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver - there's a link to download a ZIP file with it all, if you prefer not to deal with git.

Once you've downloaded the source code, you can simply run "perl slimserver.pl" from the folder where you've saved the LMS source in a command window.

--

Michael