When streaming from radio sources it is possible, via existing plugins
to retrieve information about the programme that is currently playing
(or even being listened to via a catchup service).
Currently those details are squeezed into song information (some
combination of artist, title, cover, album, duration) meaning that the
information is not readily able to be presented when a song is playing
(assuming track details are captured by the plugin).
On old SB devices there is not really enough space to show a lot of info
- but on Touch and modern home-built stuff, plus web interfaces there is
room to present a lot more.

So - my suggestion is that LMS should accept a few more attributes (eg
progtitle, progdescription, progicon, progstarttime, progduration) then
a display handling module would allow the user more control over what is
shown.
e.g. Touch-style display could show the programme name and small icon up
in the top left of the screen (even with a 2nd progress bar) when a
named song is playing.

I know that this would mean a lot of places would need to be checked
(potentially everywhere that uses "artist"/"title") - but my guess is
that most places could ignore it.

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland