\

Dare to be an Eagle . . . . Eagles Fly High !!

This is a wonderful but true story about a cab driver that proved this

point.

Harvey was waiting in line for a ride at the airport. When a cab pulled up,

the first thing Harvey noticed was that the taxi was polished to a bright

shine. Smartly dressed in a white shirt, black tie, and freshly pressed

black slacks, the cab driver jumped out and rounded the car to open the

back passenger door for Harvey.

The cab driver handed a laminated card to Harvey and said -'I'm Wally, your

driver. While I'm loading your bags in the trunk I'd like you to read my

mission statement.' Taken aback, Harvey read the card.

It said, “Wally’s Mission Statement - To get my
customers to their

destination in the quickest, safest and cheapest way possible in a friendly

environment."

This blew Harvey away. Especially when he noticed that the inside of the

cab matched the outside. Spotlessly clean!

As he slid behind the wheel, Wally said, 'Would you like a cup of coffee? I

have a thermos of regular and one of decaf.' My friend said jokingly, 'No,

I'd prefer a soft drink.' Wally smiled and said, 'No problem. I have a

cooler up front with regular and Diet Coke, water

and orange juice.' Almost stuttering, Harvey said, 'I'll take a Diet Coke.'

Handing him his drink, Wally said, 'If you'd like something to read, I have

The Wall Street Journal, Time, Sports Illustrated and USA Today.'

As they were pulling away, Wally handed my friend another laminated card.

'These are the stations I get and the music they play, if you'd like to

listen to the radio.' And as if that weren't enough, Wally told Harvey that

he had the air-conditioning on and asked if the temperature was comfortable

for him.

Then he advised Harvey of the best route to his destination for that time

of day. He also let him know that he'd be happy to chat and tell him about

some of the sights or, if Harvey preferred, to leave him with his own

thoughts.

'Tell me, Wally,' Harvey asked the driver, 'have you always served

customers like this?' Wally smiled into the rear view mirror. 'No, not

always. In fact, it's only been in the last two years. My first five years

driving, I spent most of my time complaining like all the rest of the

cabbies do. Then I heard the personal growth guru, Wayne Dyer, on the radio

one day. He had just written a book called 'You'll See It When You Believe

It'. Dyer said that if you get up in the morning expecting to have a bad

day, you'll

rarely disappoint yourself. He said, 'Stop complaining! Differentiate

yourself from your competition. Don't be a duck. Be an eagle. Ducks quack

and complain. Eagles soar above the crowd.'

'That hit me right between the eyes,' said Wally. 'Dyer was really talking

about me. I was always quacking and complaining, so I decided to change my

attitude and become an eagle. I looked around at the other cabs and their

drivers. The cabs were dirty, the drivers were unfriendly, and the

customers were unhappy. So I decided to make some changes. I put in a few

at a time. When my customers responded well, I did more.'

'I take it that has paid off for you,' Harvey said. 'It sure has,' Wally

replied. 'My first year as an eagle, I doubled my income from the previous

year. You were lucky to get me today. I don't sit at cabstands anymore. My

customers call me for appointments on my cell phone or leave a message on

my answering machine. If I can't pick them up myself, I get a reliable

cabbie friend to do it and I take a piece of the action.'

Wally was phenomenal. He was running a limo service out of a Yellow Cab.

I’ve probably told that story to more than fifty cab drivers over
the

years, and only two took the idea and ran with it. Whenever I go to their

cities, I give them a call. The rest of the drivers quacked like ducks and

told me all the reasons they couldn't do any of what I was suggesting.

Wally the Cab Driver made a different choice. He decided to stop quacking

like ducks and start soaring like eagles. How about us? Smile, and the

whole world smiles with you. As they say 'The ball is in our hands'!! So do

not sit and complain.....start to fly like an eagle.