*Q & A*
**
*I’m very shy and afraid to speak in front of a group of people. A few years
ago, I took an anti-depressant for stomach pains. During this period, I was
more outgoing and able to talk to people. Did this medication cause me to be
more outgoing or am I depressed?*

You identify a number of concerns about yourself: shyness, fear of speaking
out and expressing yourself in front of others, some physical complaints
(“stomach pains”) and the possibility of depression. Anti-depressants can
help with all of these symptoms. Such medications seem to have helped you in
the past.

Our advice is that you return to the physician who prescribed the
anti-depressants for your stomach pains and discuss your present symptoms.
Be sure to report that you felt better when you were taking the medication.
True depression can be serious and needs to be identified and treated
appropriately. You seem to be describing milder forms of self-doubt and
insecurity, and you can be helped with those feelings too.

*I'm 14 years old. I've been home schooled all my life. I'm always
uncomfortable around school kids, even ones my own age. Would you have any
suggestions, other than start going to real school?*

It is important to know that you are not alone in feeling isolated. No
matter what the circumstances, almost all young teenagers feel different and
uncomfortable. But home schooling can add to this and make it harder. Here
are some suggestions: participate in after-school programs at a “real”
school or ask your parents to join a home school group that sponsors group
activities, field trips and other social events. If you are musical,
athletic, artistic, theatrical or just interested in any of these areas, you
might join community recreational center activities, sports groups and
teams, drama classes or a local teen orchestra or choir.

In addition, you and your parents might read some books on building social
skills so that you feel confident in greeting new people, striking up
conversations, and initiating friendships. One book you might enjoy is Teen
Love: On Friendship by Kimberly Kirberger, Colin Mortensen (Contributor).
You should be able to find this in any bookstore or library.

*I'm a 14-year-old boy, and have problems meeting new people. However, I’m
really involved in local politics. This has made it easy for me give
speeches and get along with older people. I just want to know what to do to
meet people my own age. I am even afraid to speak to people that sit next to
me in class and because of this, I act conceited and arrogant. What should I
do?*

It sounds like you are a great public speaker, but are pretty shy. It’s not
as strange as it might seem. Shy people can often “sell ideas” and make
conversation with individuals who are older. They have problems sharing
personal information (casual, small talk), and that is what’s required to
make friends. Being a great public speaker helps because it lets you know
that under safer circumstances you can sell yourself. You have part of the
battle won because you realize that your behavior (acting arrogant and
conceited) is a defense, and that you aren’t happy with the way things are
going for you.

You can find some information on TeenGrowth about making
friends<http://www.teengrowth.com/index.cfm?action=info_article&ID_article=1342&category=friends&catdesc=Friends&subdesc=Friendship>,
but I think you also should consider finding a counselor who helps shy
people gain confidence. Many psychologists and some social workers have
experience with this common problem. Your doctor should be able to help you
find someone. Good luck.

*I used to have a really good group of friends. Now, they are all getting
into smoking, drugs and sex. I want to find a new group of friends, but I’m
shy. How can I figure out who are the type of people I should hang out with,
and who will accept me?*

You’ve made a very important step already, in recognizing that it’s time to
find new friends. Making and keeping good friends is a challenge for all of
us, whether we are shy or not. Since you’ve done this successfully before
(you had a “really good group of friends,” before they got into dangerous
behaviors,) one thing is to think back on how you developed friendships in
the past. Probably the best way to make and keep friends is to find others
who share your interests. Lasting friendships often develop between people
who enjoy the same activities, like participating in sports, music, or after
school clubs. You also want to be with friends who share your values and
goals for life, and you may find them in church youth groups, scholastic
activities like the debate team, or service groups. It just depends on
whatever your own interests are.

That old saying is also true – that the best way to have a friend is to be a
friend. Reach out to the others who share your interests, sit with them at
lunch, invite them to join you in the activities you all like, listen to
their thoughts and tell them yours. Being a real friend takes time and
effort. Although your set of friends will probably change over the years,
you may also find “best friends” during your school years that you’ll always
stay connected with.