Monkey Management

Imagine one day that you are walking down the hallway at your organization, and
a subordinate approaches you with a problem about one of his subordinates. "I
cannot believe how Jane is acting toward our customers. She is curt, unfriendly
and sometimes downright difficult. I have told her several times that her
behavior is just not acceptable, but it doesn't seem to help. Can you visit
with her and see if she takes it better from you?"

As a manager, you have a number of choices. Which is the right choice for you,
for the supervisor, and for Jane?

In a classic article in the Harvard Business
Review<http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/prod_detail.asp?99609> in 1974, authors
William Oncken, Jr., and Donald L. Wass offer a theoretical framework for
seeing this situation in its true light and making the right decision. In the
article "Who's Got the Monkey?" the authors tell the tale of an overburdened
manager who allows his employees to delegate upward. When a manager takes an
unsolved problem from his subordinates, he is allowing a figurative monkey to
leap from the employee's back to his back. When a manager has too many monkeys,
he is increasing his own load, failing to develop his subordinates, and
probably not solving the problems effectively in the final analysis.

Oncken and Wass offer a well defined basic law for managing monkeys. It is:

At no time while I am helping you will your problem become my problem. The
instant your problem becomes mine, you will no longer have a problem. I cannot
help someone who hasn't got a problem. You may ask my help at any appointed
time, and we will make a joint determination of what the next move will be and
who will make it.

Refusing to accept problems that subordinates try to
delegate<http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/1998/08/24/smallb7.html>
upward, and instead giving them opportunities to meet with you to "feed the
monkey" is the best choice for both the monkey and for its keeper. The employee
who is closest to the problem usually has the knowledge and skill to solve the
problem, if empowered to do so. Consultations
<http://www.bizmove.com/personnel/m4g.htm> with the manager will serve to
broaden perspective and offer new ways of seeing the problem. And as the
employee feeds and eventually solves the problem, he or she learns important
skills that make them more valuable to the organization and to the managers.

In addition to the law of monkey management, the authors list six rules of
managing monkeys that are instructive to managers. These include:

1. Monkeys should be fed or shot. No one likes the consequences of a starving
monkey. They tend to be very disagreeable and squeal and raise a ruckus.
Monkeys must be fed periodically; in this analogy, the problem must be dealt
with between the manager and the employee with the problem on a regular basis.
If the monkey can be shot (the problem solved quickly), then feeding times are
not necessary.

2. Every monkey should have an assigned next feeding time and a degree of
initiative. After a feeding session, the manager should select an appropriate
time for the next feeding and should have a number of action steps for the
employee to take. "Can we meet next Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. to see how things are
going and what we should do next?"

3. The monkey population should be kept below the maximum number that the
manager has time to feed. The authors suggest that it should take 15 minutes to
feed a monkey, and that managers should keep the list of problems that are in
various stages of solution at a manageable number.

4. Monkeys should fed by appointment only. Allowing employees to bring problems
to you on their timetable increases the chances that the monkey will move from
the employee to the manager. By setting specific times for addressing the
problem, managers empower employees to make interim decisions about the
problem, and still report back.

5. Monkey feeding appointments may be rescheduled but never indefinitely
postponed. Either party, the manager or the subordinate, may reschedule a
feeding appointment for any reason, but it must be scheduled to a specific time
to avoid losing track of the monkey.

6. Monkeys shall be fed face to face or by telephone, but not in writing.
Holding feeding sessions via e-mail or memo transfers the monkey to the
manager. An employee can pass the monkey to the manager by simply requesting a
response. Feedings that take place in person or on the phone require the monkey
to remain with the employee unless the supervisor takes an affirmative step to
take it.

Proper delegation skills<http://www.mindtools.com/tmdelegt.html>, properly
applied as suggested in this creative approach, can help managers better solve
problems and develop their employees' problem solving skills. Visualizing each
problem as a monkey that is impatient and noisy can help managers see problems
as they really are and address them in the best possible way. Beware of the
monkeys that may come into your life today!

[cid:77logo.jpg@21bc561eb6e54e7c8c6e75a4bae6bb27]<www.rasgas.com>
________________________________
As a professional keynote speaker, workshop/seminar facilitator and
organizational consultant, Wayne Parker<http://www.waynecparker.com/> has
worked with hundreds of individuals and organizations to grow, change and
succeed. Wayne's background includes 20 years of experience in training,
administration and management. He has trained hundreds of people in the areas
of sexual harassment prevention, time management, life/work balance issues and
customer service. He is also recognized for his experience and skills in the
areas of leading change, vision development, leadership development, strategic
planning and goal setting, human resource development and team building.

Return to the WorkStar Library<http://www.workstar.net/library.html>

________________________________
DISCLAIMER:
For the purposes of the State of Qatar law No (16) of 2010 concerning
Electronic Commerce and Transactions; unless expressly agreed, Sender does not
consent nor consider itself to be contractually bound in any manner, through
the use of electronic communications, including but not limited to, the
formation or inferred formation of a contract between Sender and the intended
recipient of this email.

Notice : This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential to the addressee and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail, you may not copy, forward, disclose or
otherwise use it in any way whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail by
mistake, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message, and deleting the
original and any printout thereof.