Subject: Amazing - SERVICE TAX

SERVICE TAX - VERY INFORMATIVE
------------------------------
*Damned good. And we have been blindly paying up. No end to skulduggery. *
*Am not too sure, but thought i'd share this......*

                          SERVICE TAX - VERY INFORMATIVE

   About Service Tax..... how the restaurants loot your money ... Be aware
      *Ramanathan Hariharan updated his status: "Surprisingly after reading
      about*
      *the "Service Tax", I strongly decided to share this
      information with        *
      *everyone. *
      * *
      *This happened at the restaurant. Let me explain.*
      * *
      *We had been to several restaurants recently. I observed
      that  "service tax" has been mis-used and charged to the
customers like you
      and me. *
      * *
      *Let me give an example. *
      * *
      *Food and Beverage =            Rs. 1000.00*
      *Service  Charges @ 10% =    Rs.   100.00    (10% on the Food and
      beverage amount) *
      *Service Tax @ 4.94% =         Rs.     54.34    (4.94% on F&B +
      Service Charges) *
      *VAT @14.5% =                      Rs.   145.00 *
      *Total =                                    Rs.
      1299.34                                    *
      *                                                                 *
      *As per the definition - "Service Tax can be charged only for the
      services provided to the customer". *
      * *
      *Now, see what is happening here in the above said  example. *
      * *
      *Service Tax should be charged only on the Service Charges amount i.e
      Rs.100 and not on the entire amount (1000+100). *
      * *
      *In this example, the customer should be charged only Rs 4.94,
      whereas he has been charged    *
      *Rs. 49.00 extra. *
      * *
      *Where does this money go? Only the restaurant owner and the
      chartered accountants who work for them know.
      *
      *                           *
         *·*        *So, I have started asking them the questions - and
            surprised to see the  reactions from the famous
restaurants. Either they
            say: Sir we cannot change the format of the bill - so , we
will recalculate
            and  tell you the revised amount. You may pay only that. *
          * *
         *·*        *Sir, you do not need to pay the Service Tax amount
            itself.*
          * *
      *I now have 3 to 4 restaurant bills, for which I have paid
**only**the service tax - on the service charges and not on the total
amount.
      *
      * *
      *Every bill must carry the TIN number and Service Tax  Number, if
      they charge it. So, I ask for the Service tax number if it is  not
      available in the receipt that they provide. *
      *_______________________*
      *We cannot go to any  government official and ask them to get this
      right - because of our  system. *
      * *
      *Please remember - we cannot change any political leader - but we
      can change ourselves. If we change ourselves - things will change. *
      * *
      *Please do share this with every one of your friends and
      known people. *
      * *
      *Ask for the right tax calculation and pay only the tax which is
      supposed to be paid. Verify every bills and receipts that you
make payment
      on.                                        *

***

--
R Shanbhag “Raj”
Abu Dhabi, UAE