Questioner: When I love a person and he gets angry, why is his anger so
intense?

Krishnamurti: First of all, do you love anybody? Do you know what it is to
love? It is to give completely your mind your heart, your whole being and
not ask a thing in return not put out a begging bowl to receive love. Do you
understand? When there is that kind of love, is there anger? And why do we
get angry when we love somebody with the ordinary, so-called love? It is
because we are not getting something we expect from that person, is it not?
I love my wife or husband, my son or daughter, but the moment they do
something `wrong' I get angry. Why?

Why does the father get angry with his son or daughter? Because he wants the
child to be or do something, to fit into a certain pattern, and the child
rebels. Parents try to fulfil, to immortalize themselves through their
property, through their children and, when the child does something of which
they disapprove, they get violently angry. They have an ideal of what the
child should be, and through that ideal they are ful- filling themselves;
and they get angry when the child does not fit into the pattern which is
their fulfilment.

Have you noticed how angry you sometimes get with a friend of yours? It is
the same process going on. You are expecting something from him, and when
that expectation is not fulfilled you are disappointed - which means,
really, that inwardly, psychologically you are depending on that person. So
wherever there is psychological dependence, there must be frustration; and
frustration inevitably breeds anger, bitterness, jealousy, and various other
forms of conflict. That is why it is very important, especially while you
are young, to love something with your whole being - a tree, an animal, your
teacher, your parent - for then you will find out for yourself what it is to
be without conflict, without fear.

But you see, the educator is generally concerned about himself, he is caught
up in his personal worries about his family, his money, his position. He has
no love in his heart, and this is one of the difficulties in education. You
may have love in your heart, because to love is a natural thing when one is
young; but it is soon destroyed by the parents, by the educator, by the
social environment. To maintain that innocence, that love which is the
perfume of life, is extraordinarily arduous; it requires a great deal of
intelligence, insight.

Questioner: How can the mind go beyond its hindrances?

Krishnamurti: To go beyond its hindrances, the mind must first be aware of
them, must it not? You must know the limitations, the boundaries, the
frontiers of your own mind; but very few of us know them. We say that we do,
but it is merely a verbal assertion. We never say, "Here is a barrier, a
bondage within me, and I want to understand it; therefore I am going to be
cognizant of it, see how it came into being and the whole nature of it". If
one knows what the disease is, there is a possibility of curing it. But to
know the disease, to know the particular limitation, bondage or hindrance of
the mind, and to understand it, one must not condemn it, one must not say it
is right or wrong. One must observe it without having an opinion, a
prejudice about it - which is extraordinarily difficult, because we are
brought up to condemn.

To understand a child, there must be no condemnation. To condemn him has no
meaning. You have to watch him when he is playing, crying, eating, you have
to observe him in all his moods; but you cannot do this if you say he is
ugly, he is stupid, he is this or that. Similarly, if one can watch the
hindrances of the mind, not only the superficial hindrances but also the
deeper hindrances in the unconscious - watch them without condemnation -
then the mind can go beyond them; and that very going beyond is a movement
towards truth.

Questioner: Why has God created so many men and women in the world?

Krishnamurti: Why do you take it for granted that God has created us? There
is a very simple explanation: the biological instinct. Instinct, desire,
passion, lust are all part of life. If you say, "Life is God", then that is
a different matter. Then God is everything, including passion, lust, envy,
fear. All these factors have gone to produce in the world an overwhelming
number of men and women, so there is the problem of overpopulation, which is
one of the curses of this land. But you see, this problem is not so easily
solved. There are various urges and compulsions which man is heir to and,
without understanding that whole complex process, merely to try to regulate
the birth rate has not much significance. We have made a mess of this world,
each one of us, because we don't know what living is. Living is not this
tawdry, mediocre, disciplined thing which we call our existence. Living is
something entirely different; it is abundantly rich, timelessly changing,
and as long as we don't understand that eternal movement, our lives are
bound to have very little meaning.

Jiddu Krishnamurti in English