During the pre-Independence days an Iyer and a Britisher were travelling by the
Howrah Mail
from Madras to Calcutta. The train left Central at 8 pm sharp and next morning
at 7am it
was at Vijayawada. The Britisher had a sumptuous Spencer's breakfast served by
a butler
in livery , but the Iyer opened the top box of his 4-compartment steel carriage
and ate two idlis.

Lunch at Waltair station (as Visakhapatnam was then called), was a heavy meal
served to the
Britisher by the Railway Dining Room, but the Iyer only opened the second box
of his tiffin carrier,
pulled out 4 idlis and ate them relishingly. The Britisher was curious as to
what was happening,
 but being a Britisher, kept his stiff-upper- lip posture.

When the scene repeated during dinner... at Berhampur, the Brit could no longer
contain himself,
and enquired, "
 Sir, what
 are those white things you have been eating all along? "

The Iyer said, " Sir, these are called IQ tablets. We Tamilians can live on
them for days together. "

Britisher: " But how do you make them ? ".

The Iyer went into an elaborate description of the raw materials, and processes.

Britisher : " Can you please give me a couple?-- you need not give them free.
I'll be happy to pay whatever price you quote. "

The Iyer thought for a while and said," Actually I have only three more left
for tomorrow morning's breakfast
 but since I am going to my relative's place, I can spare them for you.
But they will cost you 2 rupees ( a princely sum then ) each ".

The Britisher paid up immediately, happy that he was so lucky.

Next morning at Howrah station as they were about to part ways, the Brit asked,
" But tell me sir, are you sure you have told me the entire process without
leaving out any
 details? ".

Iyer said " Yes, I told you all details".

Britisher, " Then why are those damn tablets so costly?"

The Iyer said, "Remember, I told you those are IQ tablets.
You took just 3 last night and already they have started working!"  and walked
off through the Exit!