Several years ago, I was preparing for my black belt board
of review in Karate. I had affirmations on post-it notes all
over the place. "Remember to Breathe," "I am strong and
confident," "I am a black belt," and "Remember to Laugh," I
wrote the one about laughing after getting in the car one
morning and realized I had not combed my hair yet. I was
late for work and didn't have time to go back inside the
house for a comb so I grabbed the car brush, still wet with
snow, and put my hair back into place. What struck me so
funny was not only that I just used the car brush to comb my
hair, but also the fact that I was bald on top of my head.

Learn to Laugh at Yourself

Needless to say I have learned over the years to laugh at
myself. First of all, as my parents often told me, when you
laugh at yourself you steal the thunder from everyone else
who might be tempted to laugh at you. It takes practice to
see what's funny about a situation and laugh. One time, I
was in my car driving slowly through the middle of a huge
puddle in the road. I had my window down because it was very
humid in the car after the mid-summer downpour that had left
the landscape drenched with standing water everywhere.

I looked up just in time to see an enormous vehicle speeding
toward me through the same puddle I was making my way
through. I was drenched from my head to my seatbelt as was
the inside of the car with dirty rainwater before my hand
could make it to the window control. Getting mad could have
been my first response until I realized there was nothing I
could have done to change the outcome of what happened. So,
I just laughed. The upside of things is that the inside of
the car dried out and I got a great story out of it. The
down side of the story is that the owner of the car wasn't
laughing as I related the story to him. I guess he needed to
learn to laugh more in his life, too.

Look For Humor in a Situation or Challenge

There is tremendous hope in every breath you take, and that
hope is magnified a hundredfold every time you laugh. Look
for those things that make you smile a little, chuckle some,
giggle a lot, or burst your sides from laughing so hard.
Laughter is what makes a molehill out of a mountain, a
suntan out of a sunburn, or a "new you" hairdo out of a bad
hair day. Laughter is what turns big things into the small
stuff.

And honestly, as they say, it's all small stuff. Often, we miss a lot
of the little things that present themselves as gifts that could brighten
our day and lighten our load if we would just look a little more closely.

You know, like the time when someone comes out of the ladies
room with a long piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom
of her shoe and doesn't know it's there. Just laugh inside,
be glad it isn't you, and then politely point it out to her
to save her some embarrassment. Maybe she will laugh at
herself and have a great story to tell later in her day.

Laugh Ten Times a Day

As I said before, finding things to laugh at takes practice,
but it also just takes laughing. Laugh at a funny TV
commercial, or something funny someone said at work. Laugh
by yourself, laugh with your spouse, your kids, or your
friends. Make a point to laugh at least ten times a day.What
you will find is that laughter is contagious. You can catch
it from yourself. Others can catch it from you, and you can
catch it from them. Sometimes, we just start laughing by
hearing others laugh, and in my humble opinion, there is no
greater sound in the world than a child's laughter.

Just think how much better the world would be, how much
kinder and gentler our lives would be, if we just remembered
to laugh.

Make today a miracle,
Chris D'Cruz