Wouldnt the ideal be to link to a page "latest" so the URL has no mention of
version.
This can then redirect to the appropriate version... since the older releases
arent available from older versions of the URL anyway?
(eg. get-253-beta)
ie. create url "http://www.blender.org/download/get-beta/";, and in future use
this, removing get-254-beta once a future release hits.

- Simon C