I posted a reply on the tracker; the code in the addon py file itself
looks fine to me, and merely implements missing functionality (that was
already commented out in the menu )
I can't comment to the changes in 'c code', i.e. the change to
startup.blend, which I presume makes the script active by default. My
suggestion if this is made active by default is to make a change to the
keymap, to avoid the keymap problem with addons.

Of course, making the addon active by default is not my decision to
make. I in fact, do not have an opinion on this.

PS I am the writer of the script originally. It was an exersize in
learning the new api :)