From the Mac App Store Terms and conditions:

"Programs that don’t comply with Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines will not be
accepted."

Blender uses its own HIG.

From the Adium Mailing list:

"In the current agreement for the App Store - on all platforms - there are
several provisions which restrict distribution.  These are incompatible with
the GPL.  If we were to submit Adium to the App Store, any contributor - which
includes contributors to underlying libraries like libpurple, libglib, or
libintl - could (1) sue us directly and (2) activate the deauthorization
provision in the GPL to remove our right to use the code, both because we would
have knowingly violated the GPL."

This was checked with Karen Sandler, which is their legal representative.

These are the 2 main reasons Blender can't use the Mac App Store. Of course the
Blender Foundation can ask Apple but is a well known fact that Apple dislike
the GPL, and i know at least that the ffmpeg/libav guys are pretty willing to
fight anyone that uses their code in any way that breaks the GPL/LGPL part of
their licensed code.

Can of worms, anyone?

Regards.

J.