On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Toni Alatalo <ant...@kyperjokki.fi> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Are there any plans for Universal 3D (U3D) support?
>> I was trying to find a way to create a 3D PDF with open source
>> software but Blender doesn't appear to support it. It's an open
>> standard so I figure the lack of support is for a more technical
>
> Often with open source the reason for something not existing is simply that
> no one has implemented it. That is usually because there hasn't been great
> need.
[SNIP]
> Some people have apparently brought things to U3D from Blender via OBJ export
> to MeshLab (open source) and, with good success, proprieatery DAZ:
> http://artandlogic.blogspot.com/2008/08/blender-to-acrobat-3d.html .. back in
> 2008.

I'll have to try that.

> I guess Collada and perhaps X3D are more useful to people so U3D just hasn't
> been made. Probably is doable if really needed.
>
> This comment from already 2009 says that an extended version of Acrobat has
> later added Collada support: "Using the COLLADA exporter and Adobe Acrobat
> Pro Extended, one can create pdf documents that include the 3D model,
> enabling users to rotate the model directly in the pdf viewer, as well as
> exploring the object tree and see all the parts names."
> http://labs.solidworks.com/Products/Product.aspx?name=colladaexport . Also
> Photoshop and Mac OS X Preview etc. support Collada, so perhaps that's where
> the world is converging instead.

Well, that's still using Acrobat Pro which is about $350. I was trying
to stay FOSS.

I did have some success using Meshlab. It exports a UD3 file with a
simple latex script and then you can use pdflatex to create the PDF.
It works but the default orientation of the model is strange and I get
a divide by 0 error if I try to change it.

I exported a COLLADA version but it does not export a latex file for
embedding in a PDF.

Thanks,
Richard