Hi,

I absolutely agree: this "click several times to select what you want"
is one of the Blender features I miss the most in other software
packages. Some possible solutions to your problem:

- Select one vertex you want to be selected, press H, repeat until you
have all wanted vertices hidden, then press alt+H. All desired
vertices are selected.

- Use shift+B (zoom box) or numpad period "." (zoom to selected) to
zoom exactly to where the tiny features are.

Also, make sure antialiasing is disabled: there are issues with mesh
editing and antialiasing because of the way Blender calculates what to
select.

Cheers!