Nicholas Bishop once talked about a bmesh modifier where you can use any
bmesh operator like symmetrice, remove doubles etc. Modifiers are too
specialized already, following the path of the current particle system
where very specific functionality is added will not benefit us in the long
run but make things messier. +1 on making simple separate functionality
that we will be able to easily replicate in a future node modifier system!

Daniel Salazar
patazstudio.com