If I'm not wrong, there where some guys in the Blender Conference that had
developed a system where the program automatically detected the human shape,
and was able to target a bvh rig to it. The name is Christophe POIREL, maybe
you could get in contact with him and see if you can use any of his work or
ideas.

The way I see it (I'm the creator of BlenRig auto-rigging, now my site is down
:p ) is that it would be cool no to just be able to generate a simple armature,
but to develop a system that would also be able to retarget custom rigs. But
well, a tool like that might be too specific, and maybe it wouldn't be worth
the effort.

Anyway, Zanqdo never used BlenRig, that's why he says that auto-rigging systems
are not good enough for him... :p