Why not rename the UV layer before joining, so that it matches?
There's also vertex groups, shape keys, vertex colors, should all
those have options to join by index too? I think it's better if they
all just join by name instead of adding options here.

If you choose a UV layer in a material that is name based, not index
based, so the index should not be considered to have any meaning.