Pushed one more branch, cycles_texture_cache this time. Again, work in progress
that has been developed for Tangent Animation. CPU only, it’s using
OpenImageIO’s TextureSys directly. Unfortunately, it comes with a certain
performance hit that I’m hoping to reduce further or maybe even eliminate. In
exchange, it allows for rendering a large number of large sized textures in a
pre-defined modest memory footprint.

This, the Embree branch and the Cryptomatte branch are features that I would
hope to eventually merge into master (2.8?) once they’re stable, feature
complete and reviewed.

-Stefan