Hello list,

Blender 2.80 was the last version of Blender for which 32-bit builds
were officially supported. This was announced by Brecht in [1].
That announcement was a bit unclear to me, which I let pass because it
wasn't that relevant for my position back then. However, now that I'm
the Linux platform maintainer, I wouldn't mind if the situation was
clarified.

In that announcement, Brecht writes:
> Blender 2.80 was the last release where we officially support 32 bit Windows
> and Linux builds. [...]
> We will continue to support it to the level that we do for example ARM. That
> is we keep the Blender code working independent of the processor
> architecture, particularly for Linux packages. But we don't actively test
> them or release our own builds.

This sounds like an impossibility to me: the promise that we keep
things working, but without building, or testing. Apparently there is
also a distinction between "official support" and "support to some
level".

The Blender requirements page [2] does list 64-bit as a requirement.
But, there is no "last version that supported 32-bit" in the "Previous
Versions" section of that page. Also there is no mention of dropping
official support for 32-bit architectures in the 2.81 release notes
[3].

I found out about this unclear situation when looking at a patch that
ought to fix an issue on 32-bit platforms [4]. In the discussion on
that patch, Brecht writes:
> When writing or reviewing code, you ensure that there is always a processor
> architecture independent code path. And if you get a report and it turns out
> such a code path is missing or broken, you fix it. It's the same for x86,
> mips, sparc, etc.

This looks like a statement that these platforms are still supported.

Personally I would summarize the above as:
- Blender Foundation does not provide buildbots for 32-bit platforms.
- Developers have to ensure these platforms keep working.
- Testing such fixes is unnecessary.

I think I'm misunderstanding the situation here, and I wouldn't mind
if this was clarified.

Sybren

[1]: https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2019-August/050124.html
[2]: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/