On 12 Dec 2007, at 6:03 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 5:18 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> Now that you've removed makeType:, how should we handle empty fields
>> in the editor? Right now things are inconsistent, as in some places
>> empty strings are equivalent to nil, and in other places they're not.
>> For example, adding, removing, and changing a field name still assume
>> that non-displayed fields are empty and displayed fields are not
>> empty, which now is wrong.
>
> Didn't know that; I've never changed a field name or looked at that
> code, so I'm not sure what the implications are.
>
> The delete should just delete the selected row, I think (and be
> disabled for un-deletable rows).  I'd use that action regularly except
> that it's so annoying to go through the sheet/popup for each one...so
> I end up leaving RIS imports with a bunch of junk fields.

It's not a question of what field to delete, but what "deleting a
field" means? A field displayed in the editor may now already be nil,
so deleting it would do nothing. The same for add: a field not
displayed in the editor may actually be non-nil. In those cases
addField: and removeField: do not work properly, because they assume
that the field was nil or non-nil respectively.

>> It's a bit annoying to add explicit checks
>> for empty strings, as +isEmptyString does not work correctly for
>> complex strings. Perhaps we should have an +isEmptyAsComplexString:.
>
> Yes, that does sound annoying
>
>> So should we display empty values? Note that those could be left over
>> from type changes (or not?)
>
> I thought the datasource rebuilt every time the type changed...should
> have looked closer to see what's going on.  I'd rather not see empty
> values.

Well, it rebuilds, but the question is: how should it rebuild? Should
it include empty (but non-nil) custom fields or not?

Christiaan