On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 1 Jan 2008, at 11:54 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> No, only in the parent (if I understand you correctly).
>>
>> I was thinking of -[BibItem imageForURLField:] which resolves aliases
>> to see if a file is missing.  If an alias file exists, it's not
>> really
>> missing...but it's useless unless the target exists.

>>> That's the way we implemented BDSKFiler.

>>> For what it's worth, the document's URL is also always resolved. I
>>> don't know about aliases pointing to symlinks or aliases, is that
>>> possible? For FSRef we need to use FSPathMakeRefWithOptions to get
>>> an
>>> FSRef to pointing to a symlink (instead of CFURLGetFSRef).
>>
>> I think everything we get from Cocoa is guaranteed to be resolved
>> (from NSOpenPanel/NSSavePanel or NSDocument).
>
> So it's impossible to choose an alias or symlink file using
> NSOpenPanel?

Apple is supposed to return the resolved path if there's an alias or
symlink in the middle of it, but I'm not sure what happens when you
choose an alias file or symlink as the target.  This is the post I was
thinking of:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2007/9/5/188782

>> The alias pointing to a
>> symlink probably needs to be resolved recursively
>> (FSResolveAliasFileWithMountFlags doesn't seem to work), but aliases
>> pointing to aliases appear to work.
>
> What do you mean it doesn't work? It retruns an error? Or does it
> return the symlink? And what do you mean with work? Dp you mean that
> an alias pointing to an alias file resolves to the target of the
> alias file?

Ignore that; it does work (alias file pointing to alias file resolves
to target, and alias file pointing to symlink resolves to target).

--
adam